Flat Pack Cabinets: Check List
Last modified 7 November, 2011
When evaluating the costs of cabinets from different Flat Pack Companies, it’s
pointless looking at just one cabinet and based upon the cost of that cabinet,
determining who is the most cost effective. This is because there is no such
‘bench mark’ in the Cabinet making industry and everybody has a
different pricing structure. The only way to truly compare between Companies
is to evaluate the TOTAL cost and compare the benefits of each Company. Below
are some factors that you need to consider when evaluating different Flat Pack
Cabinets from different suppliers:
1. Does the quoted cabinet prices include GST? Be careful, as some don't! All
of Cabinets on demand prices are GST inclusive, so there are no hidden surprises!
2. How much is the delivery cost? This can make quite a difference when comparing costs between different Companies. The delivery cost is usually something that is only determined at the end of an order and not included in the cost of the cabinet. At Cabinets on Demand, we always endeavour to source the best price for you and we don’t mark-up our delivery cost.
3. Do you have to pay extra for customising sizes. How much extra will it cost you to have a 600mm cabinet cut down to 567mm? With our system you specify the size and we don’t charge any extra for this service. Not only that, but you don’t get a ‘cut down’ cabinet –with our system it’s cut to the right size the first time around -equalling a much better cabinet to start with.
4. Can you get custom sizes for Height and Depth as well as Width? Whilst some Companies will only cut the width, they won’t cut the height and depth. Cabinets on Demand cabinets are fully 3 way customisable (Height, Width & Depth) –at no extra cost.
5. What about Corner cabinets – is there a full range available and can you specify your own custom dimensions? Very few Companies can do this or even want to, but again Cabinets on Demand provides this service at no extra cost, as we realise that it is very important to offer this customisability in corner cabinets.
6. Compare the ‘standard’ size range – Almost all Flat Pack
suppliers are still set to the ‘old’ system of only 720mm high for
their base cabinets. The problem with this is that most people now wanting a
taller bench height (higher than 900mm over-all) and by using a 720mm high cabinet,
this just makes the kickboard area higher. The kickboard area is just wasted
space. With the Cabinet on Demand on-Line system, our "standard" height
is 750mm and we can go much higher if you need to.
7. Similarly about the Depth – which in most cases can be as great as
700mm deep for Base (Floor) cabinets and up to 500mm deep for Wall cabinets!
8. Are Drawer cabinets made to measure ! With Cabinets on Demand you can specify
varying drawer front Heights and mix Pot Drawers with Cutlery Drawers should
you need to –Not only that, but you can specify the depths of the runners,
if needed. Total flexibility with drawer configurations when using the Cabinets
on Demand system.
9. What about the cabinets back wall thickness? There are some suppliers that just have very thin backs, which doesn’t make the cabinet strong. You should always Insist on a solid 16mm back for greater strength, durability and easy fixing to wall. With Cabinets on Demand a 16mm solid back comes as standard, not an extra.
10. Is the carcass made according to the Australian standard for 16mm High Moisture Resistant Particle board, or just plain 16mm Particleboard, or worse still, is it an imported Particleboard with probably a higher formaldehyde content that would not be allowed for manufacture in Australia? All the board that Cabinets on Demand use either meets or exceeds the Australian standard and we use only quality board manufactures for our cabinets.
11. Can you order additional shelves for selected cabinets? Is this easy and
cost effective? With Cabinet on Demand ordering additional shelves is simple
and no problem at all. Not only that, but you can specify if you want these
as Fixed or the Adjustable shelving and you can vary the shelf 'set-in' from
0 - 150mm if so desired. If no shelf is needed, then the cabinet cost is automatically
12. If you do need Fillers for some of your cabinetry, can you specify Height, Width and Edging requirements for these? With Cabinets on Demand you can!
13. Legs – does the cabinet price include the plastic Adjustable Legs, pre-drilled for easy installation. When you buy Cabinets on Demand cabinets (excluding the carcase only option of course), you receive the Adjustable plastic legs, bases and kickboard clips, pre-drilled for easy installation.
14. Bench tops – when you order these can you also order the machining required for the joining of these tops? Does the machining come with the joining bolts required? With all Cabinets on Demand postform bench tops you can easily specify the joining requirements and they come complete with the joining hardware required.
15. Can you order the full range of Laminated Bench tops, or are you limited to just a few colours? With Cabinets on Demand, you can not only order the colour of your choice, but you can also choose the finish you want.
16. Are the Flat Packs made in Australia and are the manufacturing jobs being kept in Australia? Flat Packs are now being imported from places like China, however Cabinets on Demand is a 100% Australian Company, manufacturing in Australia, by Australians for Australians.
Pack Cabinets - Check List